[hobbit] Monitoring hosts behind a load balancer

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:42:01 CEST 2010

I used to have some scripts that would make SOAP requests to an F5 to get
the pools and pool member status.  I no longer have access to that system,
but I may have a backup at home.

I based my scripts on a bunch of example programs in the F5 SDK.  IIRC, I
altered a couple of the perl scripts to output lines like:

     pool1 server1 OK
     pool1 server2 DOWN
     etc...

Then you just run around a loop reading the lines and sending BB status
messages.

As long as your F5 is checking the servers occasionally, this approach works
OK.

Ralph Mitchell