[hobbit] Monitoring hosts behind a load balancer

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Tue Jun 15 18:29:43 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu>wrote:

> Steve Holmes wrote:
> > Greetings, I'm monitoring several Solaris 10 servers which are behind an
> > F5 load balancer. One of the features of the F5 is that it answers pings
> > for all of the hosts behind it, even if they are all down. Has anyone
> > devised a method of testing the servers for being alive in this context?
> > There are no other network based tests being done. Yes, all of the other
> > tests eventually go purple in Xymon, but we'd like to know that the
> > hosts are down when that happens.
>
> Have you considered devmon which monitors the f5 itself? I'm not sure
> what parameters it shows, however. I believe you can also do a content
> test (eg. your f5 can be configured to say something foreboding and you
> can configure Xymon to look for it as bad news).

No, I had not considered that. I will look into what devmon can do for me.
Thanks,
Steve

--
The test of a democracy is not the magnificence of buildings or the speed of
automobiles or the efficiency of air transportation, but rather the care

Truth never damages a cause that is just. -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
(1869-1948)