CPAN Modules

david.peters at industry.nsw.gov.au david.peters at industry.nsw.gov.au
Wed Jun 9 01:24:27 CEST 2010

As I use perl mostly for interfacing to hobbit for tests, reports etc I
have quite a number of perl modules floating around.

Given that CPAN is the easiest way to upload, install manage etc, I have
installed the modules there.

I have created a top level Module called Xymon which is simple a place
holder.

So far I have uploaded Xymon::Client which provides a perl interface to
sending status updates:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Xymon::Client;

my $xymon = Xymon::Client->new(.......);

$xymon->send(.....);

Documentation for this is included on cpan and when you install the
module.

The other module I have installed is Xymon::Monitor::Informix which tests
connectivity to remote Informix Databases
This updates a test called database for servers that run informix
databases and lists the status of each database on the status screen.

I have quite a few more to add but I was hoping that anyone else that has
perl scripts, May add them there as modules. If help is required
I can assist.

Some of the upcoming releases of modules include:
        Xymon::Server which provides an interface to the various server
environment variables + some utility functions such as redrawing the
screen.
        Xymon::Server::History which returns a hash of all events for all
or selected servers - I currently use this for generating excel reports.
        Xymon::Server::Clients which provides an interface to the
hobbitclient.cfg file and includes a web interface.
        Xymon::Server::Alerts which provides an interface
hobbit-alerts.cfg

        Xymon::Monitor::MSSQL which provides a status test for sql server
databases
        Xymon::Monitor::Oracle which provides a status test for oracle
servers
        Xymon::Monitor::SunContainer which provides a way fo testing
Containers running on a Solaris node.

There are a few others that I have but that is enough for now.

BTW we still use a database to store all information about our servers and
routers and then use this to generate the bbhosts and include files. This
includes
a screen under INFO for a host that provides this information within
hobbit. Allows us to do advanced searching based on other parameters,
using an advanced search
web screen within hobbit.

Last time I spoke of the database there seemed to be very little interest
in it so it has stayed where it is and hasn't been used anywhere else.

We have applications tied to servers in the database and use it for a web
based outages application. When an outage is logged, not only does it send
an email
to subscribed users with details of the servers and the applications, it
also automagically disables that host(s) in hobbit for the period of the
outage.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their organisation.