New client-side external script to monitor Bacula backup server with Xymon

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Fri Jun 4 20:27:34 CEST 2010

The script is a simple (and a little ugly) Bash shell script that uses
Bacula's bconsole "status dir" command output to see if any jobs are waiting
on operator intervention, and it also checks the last "x" number of jobs to
see if any of them failed and reports both instances back to a Xymon
monitoring server.

For those who do not know, Bacula is an open-source, enterprise network backup
system that is widely used. It may be found here:

http://www.bacula.org/

I wrote the script a while back but modified it today to include checking for
"intervention required" type issues. An entry for the script has been added to
Xymonton (http://xymonton.trantor.org/doku.php/monitors#available_monitors),
and may be found here:

http://www.revpol.com/xymon_bacula_check_script

There are currently no instructions on installing it, but they will be up
shortly. Basic instructions for installing such a script may be found in the
Xymon man pages as well.

Hope this helps someone somewhere. :)

(I cross-posted a similar notice to the bacula-users mailing list today)
--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC