[xymon] New UPS monitor added to Xymonton

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Wed Jul 28 18:09:58 CEST 2010

On 07/27/10 18:36, Josh Luthman wrote:
> Works very well!

Excellent!  That's good to hear.

> I'm not sure about up-load, though.  It seems like it is
> expecting you to use 80% or 90% and below is a bad thing.
> For me, this will not work. I try to minimize load and get
> battery runtime.

I am not sure what you mean here.   I chose 80% and 90% as arbitrary test
settings that may be lowered to whatever someone thinks is reasonable.

Unless I am mistaken, the test I wrote will be set the status to yellow if the
UPS load is greater than or equal to $yellowtest (80%) and the status will be
set to red if the UPS load is eualto or greater than $redtest (80%).

So we are on the same page I think... You want low loads on your UPS if
possible, and want to go yellow, then red as the % load increases.   I think I
just failed to choose reasonable default values.  ;)

> This was quite simple once you get NUT configured.

Haha... Yeah, NUT can be a PITA, but it is generally worth the initial time
spent.

> Also I would suggest using a variable that each of the xymon_nut* ext
> scripts can look at, it's a bit annoying to change them all, but here is how

Yeah, thanks for the advice Josh... I will probably implement that when I get
some time to go back to those scripts.  That whole thing started as a way to
just monitor the load or the AC input voltage, then it grew into five
separate, but very similar scripts over time.

And since the binaries are all in the same place on my test machine, those
were just copied from the previous script, so it was not an issue for me which
is why I hadn't considered that..

Oh... And guess what?  I just realized they are all already defined in
~xymon/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg which gets sourced before the script is
run, so you could probably just comment out those assignments (after adding an
ECHO variable to hobbitserver.cfg)

I will modify the scripts and not have a variable assignment for "echo" though
since echo is built in to most shells (including bash that my scripts use)
While writing the scripts, I found I had a /bin/echo binary so I set a
variable for it.

Update coming soon I guess. ;)

Cheers and thanks for the feedback!

--