[xymon] How to setup a remote copy of my XYMON Display

Cleaver, Japheth jcleaver at soe.sony.com
Wed Jul 14 00:48:50 CEST 2010

What you've described *should* work, it's basically a duplication of the older BBPROXY functionality. One option is certainly to have reports go to multiple locations at the outset, and to have bbproxy running on 1984 locally and proxy it to a both the "real" hobbitd server on a different port as well as your remote server. The drawback there is you don't necessarily get self-generated client reports from the middle server (nor hobbitd/bbgen statuses).

For me, it's working on my boxes with the config below. BBDISPLAYS will be what it sends both processed reports and internally generated reports to.

Are you using an RPM? Check that the runtime.cfg hack inside the init.d script on the intermediate/proxy server isn't somehow overwriting what you think BBDISPLAYS is at runtime?

10.5.5.5 = client
10.10.10.10 = proxying Xymon server (not a bbproxy instance, but an actual hobbitd)
10.20.20.20 = final destination Xymon server

[root at 10.5.5.5]# grep HOBBITSERVER /etc/sysconfig/xymon*
/etc/sysconfig/xymon-client:HOBBITSERVERS="10.10.10.10"

[root at 10.10.10.10]# grep -R -e BBDISP -e HOBBITSERVER -e BBSERVERIP -e ^include /etc/sysconfig/xymon-client /etc/xymon/hobbitserver.cfg

/etc/sysconfig/xymon-client:HOBBITSERVERS="10.20.20.20"
/etc/xymon/hobbitserver.cfg:include /etc/sysconfig/xymon-client
/etc/xymon/hobbitserver.cfg:BBSERVERIP="127.0.0.1"	# The IP-address of your server. Use the
/etc/xymon/hobbitserver.cfg:BBDISP="0.0.0.0"            # IP of a single hobbit/bbd server
/etc/xymon/hobbitserver.cfg:BBDISPLAYS="$BBSERVERIP $HOBBITSERVERS" # IP of multiple hobbit/bbd

And it works... The status for the client disk reports are visible on the final server, with a "Status message received from 10.5.5.5" notice. The disk reports from the client running on the proxy Xymon server indicate "Status message received from 10.10.10.10"

Hope this helps,

-jc