How to setup a remote copy of my XYMON Display

Paul Jochum hobbit at paul.jemail.info
Tue Jul 13 23:38:59 CEST 2010

Hi All:

I have been reading through the forum archives for most of the day, but
still confused, and would appreciate any help.  Here is what I am trying to
do:

Background:
- I have a xymon server setup, that is monitoring a number of clients on the
local net, and it is working well.
- The server, and most of the clients, are running 4.3.0-beta2

My Goal:
- I would like to have a second xymon server, on another network, that is
basically a realtime copy of the display of the first server.  This second
server is outside of the original server's DMZ (and it will probably be in
it's own DMZ).

My problem at this point:
- On the second server, I don't see all of the columns, basically those
created by the xymon client processes running on the clients (i.e. the msgs
column, the disk column, the memory, column, etc.)

1st question:
I understand that I could have each of my clients
~xymon/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg file modified and setup the BBDISPLAYS
variable in it, but is there an easier (or another) way to have the original
xymon server forward this to the second (just like it is forwarding all of
the other status messages)?

What I have gotten to work so far:
- I have the second server up (right now for testing, it is in the same
DMZ), and have done the following:
-  on the original server, have changed:
-- the hobbitserver.cfg file:
  a) uncommented BBLOCATION variable and gave it a value of Local (so that
it is the only one doing the network tests to the client)
  b) set BBDISP="0.0.0.0"
  c) set BBDISPLAYS="oringal.server.ip new.2nd.server.ip"
-- the bb-hosts file:
  a) added the tag NET:Local to each client's line, so that the local server
keeps testing them.

  and then restarted the original server

- on the second server, I have changed:
-- the hobbitserver.cfg file:
  a) uncommented BBLOCAL variable, and gave it a value of Remote
-- copied the bb-hosts file from the original server to this second server

  and then restarted the second server

Thanks in advance for your help, and please let me know if you need any more
info.

Paul