SV: [xymon] bbtest yellow-mystery

Carl Melgaard Carl.Melgaard at STAB.RM.DK
Mon Jul 12 19:50:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

> Have you disabled alerting for that host or commented it out in your bb-hosts? The way to disable a "check" for a host is to remove the check or comment out the host in the bb-hosts. If you have just disabled the "alerting", then it will continue to do the "check", just not alert you.

I've used the Enable/Disable-options in he Administration-part of Xymon, to disable the tests (the hobbit-enadis.sh-script) - is that just alert-disabling?

/melgaard

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Carl Melgaard <Carl.Melgaard at stab.rm.dk<mailto:Carl.Melgaard at stab.rm.dk>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of our AD-servers went down for maintenance for 1 week, and I disabled
>>  the conn+dns tests in Xymon for that period. Now the "bbtest" column
>>  suddenly goes yellow, and indicates that DNS lookups takes 450+ seconds
>>  now (indicating that the DNS-check for the maintenanced server is still
>>  active).
>
> No, it indicates that the Xymon server is taking a long time to resolve host
> names to IP addresses. You may need to configure the DNS client settings on the
> Xymon server (e.g. adjust the 'server' parameters in /etc/resolv.conf).
>
> If you have most IP addresses hardcoded correctly in bb-hosts, you may want to
> add the 'testip' flag to the relevant lines of bb-hosts.

But why is the check still running against the AD-host I've disabled? It looks like its that exact dns-check that takes 450 seconds to run (timeout). Looking at the DNS-statistics:

DNS tests executed                          4602546.200466        450.096498

which is the normal checks + the 450 second timeout. All other dns-checks run fine.

Shouldnt I except something like this (from the conn checks):

"System unreachable for 764 poll periods (363317 seconds)"

instead of:

"Service dns on xxx07 is OK
Dialup host/service, or test depends on another failed test
Host appears to be down
Timeout
Seconds: 450.003"

when I've disabled all the checks on the host, and the server is powered down? Or am I missing something here?

/melgaard
To unsubscribe from the xymon list, send an e-mail to
xymon-unsubscribe at xymon.dk<mailto:xymon-unsubscribe at xymon.dk>