[hobbit] Re: [Hobbitmon-developer] Xymon is practically dead

TJ Yang tjyang2001 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 05:16:00 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM, David Baldwin
<david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au> wrote:
> TJ Yang wrote:
>>> Before a new admin is chosen, I think it would be a good idea to create a
>>> list of the tasks and responsibilities that the volunteer(s) would be taking
>>> on.  It doesn't have to be a complete list, but just something that covers
>>> the major points.  If you want to be an active developer (and I hope that
>>> you do, as you know the code better than anyone and can help others get up
>>> to speed), it would be nice to know what the admin(s) should be helping you
>>> with.
>>>

>> How about this ?
>>
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Developer_Guide#Xymon_volunteers_resource_allocation

It is renamed as
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Developer_Guide#Xymon_volunteers_Roles_and_Responsiblity

>> If no objection, I will put in more effort complete the table.
>> tj
>>
> Good stuff to see all this activity which is very timely in ensuring
> that hobbit/xymon has a viable future.
>
> I am also keen to be involved. I've done quite a lot of custom tests

I take that as a Yes. You are tagged as Volunteer in Dev area.

> mostly written in perl, devmon templates, custom graphs, etc. Good
> intentions to get an installable xymon package for MacOSX that would be
> good to get kicked along as part of this momentum.

David, I once created an OS X .pkg file from command line approach.
But the package was just an binary untar, no package script actions
from pre-flight,post-flight  .pkg script.
I am hoping to work on this again with your help.

tj

> Occasionally I've
> dived into the C source and diagnosed some bugs. Haven't read the doco
> enough either - keep finding hidden gems which I expect others may have
> missed as well.
>
> David.
>
> --
> David Baldwin - IT Unit
> Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au
> Tel 02 62147830 Fax 02 62141830       PO Box 176 Belconnen ACT 2616
> david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au          Leverrier Street Bruce ACT 2617

> Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au
>
> This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.

T.J. Yang