[hobbit] problem apt

doctor at makelofine.org doctor at makelofine.org
Fri Feb 26 09:39:54 CET 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:37:52 +0100, mickael <debian at robertain.com> wrote:
> Larry Barber wrote:
>> In order to monitor /var/log/messages the hobbit user must be able to
>> read the file, which by default is only readable by root. You either
>> add hobbit to the root group, or what I usually do is make
>> /var/log/messages use the hobbit group id.
>>
>> You also need to install the postfixadm package, see the apt-get man
>> page for details. This package is necessary to run the postfix mail
>> server.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Larry Barber
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:39 PM, mickael <debian at robertain.com
>> <mailto:debian at robertain.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi ,
>>     I'm new user hobbit and i must migrate our solution monitoring
>>     nagios to hobbit . I test hobbit from VM with a client and a
>>     server. I have some problems : first : i obtain this message :
>>     Packages not installed from apt repositories:
>>      postfixadmin (2.3)
>>
>>     How to edit hobbit no longer have this error ?
>>     Second problem i obtain this error : No entries in
/var/log/messages
>>     Full log /var/log/messages
>>     Cannot open logfile /var/log/messages : Permission denied
>>
>>     What user hobbit use for open a file on the system ? Thank you for
>>     your help
>>     Best Regards , Mickael
>>

>>     To unsubscribe from the hobbit list, send an e-mail to
>>     hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk <mailto:hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk>
>>

> Ok i put hobbit in the root group .
> For postfixadm , it already work correctly , i don't need install the
> packages with apt. I just want , don't have the error :
> Packages not installed from apt repositories:
>  postfixadmin (2.3)

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This error is due to the fact that the source of this package is not
referenced in your APT servers. I had to comment the line 149 in
bb-check-apt.pl to disable this alert. I don't mind about package sources,
because I'm the only that can install packages.

About your persimssion issue, I disagree with the answer you get, adding
xymon, that has automated scripts (like plugins) is not very secure I
think. So I use ACL  (on ext3 FS) to get xymon the right to read some
files, as /var/log/messages.

Regards,
Damien