[hobbit] Centralized bbwin hobbit-clients not working for proc and ports

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Tue Feb 2 23:49:07 CET 2010

John Hamblin wrote:

> I’m trying to configure monitoring for windows servers so that I get
> alerts when ports such as 80 and 443 are not available. I understand
> that I have to set the servers to central mode and have done so on 1
> client server for a test as below.
>

> <!-- bbwin mode local or central -->
> <setting name="mode" value="central" />
> <setting name="configclass" value="win32" />
>

> My hobbit-client.cfg file has the following:
>

> HOST=xxxxx.co.uk
>
>             PROC BBWin.exe 1
>
>             PORT "LOCAL=%(:80|:443)" state=LISTEN TEXT=http and https

First problem - Windows reports status LISTENING not LISTEN - so it
won't match on exact match. I use %LISTEN (more correct would be
%^LISTEN) to cover all eventualities.

I have the following in my hobbit-clients.cfg

CLASS=win32
        LOAD 80 90 # Load threholds are in %
        PORT LOCAL=%(\*|::|0.0.0.0):135 STATE=%LISTEN "TEXT=epmap listener"
        PORT LOCAL=%(\*|::|0.0.0.0):3389 STATE=%LISTEN "TEXT=RDP listener"
        PORT LOCAL=%[.:]3389 STATE=%ESTABLISHED MIN=0 TRACK=RDP
"TEXT=RDP connection"

> Unfortunately this is not working! I get white entries on the main
> status page with *“No process to check” *for proc and just a “*-*“ for
> ports. I am getting the “Client Data” available for proc with current
> date and time, but the status of the actual page is reading as last
> updated back in November when I first changed the bbwin mode.
>

> Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Sounds like the client report isn't making it to the correct client
entry, or maybe not getting delivered at all. Check that it is not
reporting using a different hostname. Use the Reports->Ghost Clients.
Client names are case sensitive, so if the case doesn't match it won't
report under that machine.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.