[xymon] Building the client on Mac OS X 10.6 -> success

François Claire francois.claire at notrecabane.fr
Wed Dec 15 10:10:04 CET 2010

Hi Elmar,

> I tried to compile the xymon client on Mac OS X 10.6 and ran into the
> same problem that was reported about a year ago[1].

You may already know it but Xymon is available for Mac OS X through the
macports project:
http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=xymon
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SetupXymonServer

It simplifies the compilation/install process.

> Unfortunately, the default behaviour for the Mac HFS+ file system is
> to ignore case so the two files get mixed up.  The solution to this is
> fairly simple.  Just drop the -I. from the CFLAGS options.  Having -I.
> should not be necessary anyway because the preprocessor differentiates
> between #include <file.h> and #include "file.h" precisely to separate
> system includes from project includes.
Indeed, I hit this problem and used the following patch:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/xymon/files/patch-build-Makefile.rules.diff

> Once this problem is solved, there are two more problems that will
> arise.  The first one would be the same on all platforms whenever
> xymon is built without SSL support (not needed on the client).  In
> lib/sendmsg.c TALK_SSLWRITE_RECEIVE will be referenced even though the
> enum only goes up to TALK_RECEIVE when HAVE_OPENSSL is not defined.
>
> The second problem ist with the zlib where the dynamic library for Mac
> OS X is in /usr/lib/libz.dylib which does not get search.

I didn't encounter those 2 problems. Strange.

> The attached patch fixes all three problems and the Mac OS X client
> builds successfully.

I guess Henrik will have a look at them.

By the way, this patch should be useful for you:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/xymon/files/patch-client-xymonclient-darwin.sh.diff
It fixes the problem of CPU usage reported by Mac OS X xymon clients.

> Hope this helps.

Sure it does. While you're here, could you please help me with a problem
I couldn't solve so far: on a Mac OS X Xymon server I have the
showgraph.cgi eating up all the CPU when I access xymon webpages
containing graphs. ->
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=26609049

Are you running a xymon server on Mac OS X ? If yes, do you have the
same problem with graph generation ?

> Regards,     -- Elmar
Regards,
Francois.