[xymon] R: [xymon] About hobbit.

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 11:49:06 CET 2010

>From my experience
1. It can trigger a custom script on an alert. So if you can make the script
insert tickets into you ticketing system to automatically log a support
call, anything is possible.
Or are you looking to do it the other way round? It's in our inventory
database, so it needs to be monitored?
Yes, it can do that too. You can write a script to interrogate your
inventory database, and populate bb-hosts. I have done both.
2. See below
3. See below
4. See below
5. Can't do patch management, but a script can trigger an alert if a system
has not been patched in some time.
Likewise, you can have a list somewhere of all patches that should be on a
system, and have a script compare what is currently installed to what should
be installed.
Trigger alerts as appropriate.

Xymon can do some really spectacular things using scripts, and you are
really only limited by your imagination, and ability to script.

Cheers
    Vernon