[hobbit] Top-Posting (was Re: [hobbit] Custom script shows purple)

Thu Apr 29 19:09:57 CEST 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Karsten Künne wrote:

> Well, I still believe top-posting is wrong and harmful:

I think most of the arguments against bottom (or interleaved) posting are based on the false assumptions that the entire message and signature will be preserved and the reply will be under that, causing you to scroll. Indeed some people do this, but it's inappropriate.

When done correctly, interleaved posting doesn't require any scrolling (unless it's a big thread). It just requires you to read things in a natural order.

As for the argument that top-posting makes it easier to follow a discussion…

1) I think that's partially based on the above assumption.
2) That may be true when you're right in the middle of a discussion, but think about a person reading it in the archives a month from now (whether it be you or someone else). They don't have the context fresh in their mind like you do.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

If you need something, that doesn't mean someone else owes it to you.