[hobbit] Custom script shows purple

Richard Finegold goldfndr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 00:57:17 CEST 2010

LIFETIME=4h is inadequate for something that tries to runs every 4h:
It will go purple if cron isn't exact or if a test varies in timing or
fails or if communication is (temporarily) lost.

NB the default of 5 minute execution intervals and 30 minute LIFETIME
forgives 5 misses. Philosophically, LIFETIME should be tied to how
many misses are acceptable: I(M+1), where I = interval and M =
acceptable misses. If it isn't tied to acceptable misses then purple
becomes less meaningful for notifications (false positives might
occur).

If communication and cron were perfectly reliable then Xymon
presumably wouldn't be used. :)