[hobbit] Desktop Monitoring

Matthew Moldvan mmoldvan at csc.com
Mon Apr 5 20:55:17 CEST 2010

James,

We do some monitoring for Linux based desktops and it works relatively
well.  As long as those remote sites can talk back to your Xymon server on
port 1984 it shouldn't be a problem from a network perspective.

>From a monitoring perspective, you'd probably want to run some tests while
the user isn't at their system and watch the memory usage and network
traffic.  If there is a bottleneck in your network implementation that may
be helpful, and if your app has heavy JavaScript or Java use, watching the
memory info would be helpful too.  If it's an app that does a lot of disk
writes on the client, that's another place to look (something like an
iostat for Windows).

HTH,
Matt.

delivery.
purpose.

From:
"James Wade" <jkwade at futurefrontiers.com>
To:
<hobbit at hswn.dk>
Date:
04/05/2010 01:02 PM
Subject:
[hobbit] Desktop Monitoring

Is anyone doing any kind of monitoring of Desktop Clients
with Xymon?

I?m using the Windows Client to monitor the Windows Servers,
but I?m thinking of monitoring desktop clients at remote sites.

We get users complaining that their desktops are slowing accessing
our Web Based Applications. (This is a dedicated business with remote
offices and several thousand users).

We want to try and track their desktops and what?s happening with them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks?James

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the
intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged
information. No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in
reliance on it or its attachments. If you are not the intended recipient,
please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any
attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.