Help with hobbitd_channel and hobbitd_filestore

Taylor Lewick tlewick at tradebotsystems.com
Fri Oct 30 14:35:08 CET 2009

Hey all.

I want to process the CPU pages for our Windows hosts to see if a given
process exceeds a certain memory size.

I wrote a perl script to do this against the files in
/home/hobbit/data/hostdata

But that directory only contains files that are a day old, or state
change files, and I'd like my program to work against data that is
closer to real time, i.e. a few minutes old is fine.

So I tried running from the command line as user hobbit:
./hobbitd_channel --channel=data
--log=/home/hobbit/data/logs/clientcpu.log  hobbitd_filestore --data
--only=cpu

And in the clientcpu.log I just see entry after entry of:
009-10-30 08:26:47 Our child has failed and will not talk to us: Channel
data, PID 28876, cause Bad file descriptor

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong, or how I go about using
hobbit_channel and hobbit_filestore correctly?

FYI, running ./bbcmd hobbitd_channel --channel=client cat >
/home/hobbit/data/logs/clientlogs.log
Works, but it just runs in a continuous loop and is giving me all status
messages for all clients, so its really not that helpful...

Thanks,
Taylor