Alert if a list of devices that are not related are all down?

d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com
Mon Oct 5 22:42:53 CEST 2009

I would like to have XYMON:

                E.G.  All printers are down at the same time - ALERT

                          All printers just came back up at the same
time - NOTIFY/ALERT

I need to watch multiple printers in a building to see if they are ALL
down (or come up) at the same time.

This is the makings of a POWER OUTAGE EVENT for that building since the
printers are not attached to a UPS.

If all down, Possible Power Outage

I know that the 'route:' can watch a path to a device and make the
devices behind the down devices go YELLOW

and the first device in the path go RED.  I don't think that this would
work for this type of alerting.

I think this will require some sort of SCRIPT in the hobbit-alerts.cfg
that is executed if any of the printers do not answer a ping.

I have never written a SCRIPT for XYMON but am eager to learn.

In this case the first printer that goes down, calls the script and the
script would have to check if all the other printers are down.

If I have a printer go down and it calls a bash shell script, is there a
way to see if all the rest of the printers are down.

If not, do not alert

If all down, alert

I would also need to go the other way:  if a printer comes up
(RECOVERED) are all the other printers up?

This one is more tricky as you have to see when all the other printers
came up.

It would be a false alarm if a single printer went down and then came
back up because you cannot just check to see if all the other printers
are up.

EXAMPLE:  The rest of the printers may have been up and that would not
be a POSSIBLE POWER EVENT.  You must be able to see when the other
printers came up last.

The other alternative would be to use my scripts (running on the XYMON
server) to watch the printers and then allow the scripts to trigger a
RED/GREEN event.

I have read where this can be done, but I have not found a good clear
example of creating diamonds and icons for special purposes.

This RED/GREEN event would then trigger the alerting from XYMON.

Again, I have not found a good HOW-TO on setting up additional
devices/diamonds for this purpose.

Thanks,

Tom Schmitt

Senior IT Staff - R&D

L-3 Communication Systems West

640 North 2200 West

P.O. Box 16850

Salt Lake City, UT  84116

Phone (801) 594-3030

Cell (801) 231-7230

eFax (413) 480-6873

D.Tom.Schmitt at L-3Com.com

Anonymous

   Think Green! Please print only what is necessary!