[hobbit] Custom Purple Times

Larry Barber lebarber at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:27:21 CEST 2009

>From the bb man page:

 status[+LIFETIME][/group:GROUP] HOSTNAME.TESTNAME COLOR <additional text>
              This  sends in a status message for a single test (column) on
a single host.  TESTNAME is the name of the column where this test will
              show up; any name is valid except that using dots in the
testname will not work.  COLOR must be one of  the  valid  colors:  "green",
              "yellow",  "red"  or  "clear".   The  colors "blue" and
"purple" - although valid colors - should not be sent in a status-message,
as
              these are handled specially by the Hobbit server.
              The "additional text" normally includes a local timestamp and
a summary of the test result on the first line. Any lines following the
              first one are free-form, and can include any information that
may be useful to diagnose the problem being reported.
              The  LIFETIME defines how long this status is valid after
being received by the Hobbit server. The default is 30 minutes, but you can
              set any period you like. E.g. for a custom test that runs once
an hour, you will want to set this to at least 60 minutes -  otherwise
              the  status  will  go  purple  after 30 minutes. It is a good
idea to set the LIFETIME to sligtly more than the interval between your
              tests, to allow for variations in the time it takes your test
to complete. The LIFETIME is in minutes, unless you add an "h" (hours),
              "d" (days) or "w" (weeks) immediately after the number, e.g.
"status+5h" for a status that is valid for 5 hours.
              The  GROUP  option  is used to direct alerts from the status
to a specific group.  It is currently used for status generated from the
              Hobbit clients’ data, e.g. to direct alerts for a "procs"
status to different people, depending on exactly which process is down.

Thanks,
Larry Barber