[hobbit] RE: Help with hobbitd_channel and hobbitd_filestore

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Nov 4 10:56:08 CET 2009

In <98B0CDCB28A5EE4CB3678CD99406644E02DB735F at tbmail2.tradebot.com> "Taylor Lewick" <tlewick at tradebotsystems.com> writes:

>More digging, this stems from the fact that I was passing
>channel=3Dclient, and hobbit_filestore doesn't support the client =
>channel,
>at least in the version I have, i.e. 4.2.0
>I just tried running: bbcmd hobbitd_channel --channel=3Ddata
>--log=3D/home/hobbit/data/logs/clientcpu.log hobbitd_filestore --data =
>and
>that did work. =20

>So now it's a question of, how do I get hobbitd_filestore to work with
>hobbit_channel --channel=3Dclient?  Modify hobbitd_filestore.c?

hobbitd_filestore was only intended as a compatibility module for
people migrating from Big Brother. Since BB didn't have the concept
of "client data", there is no support for logging client data via
hobbitd_filestore.

I would advise against logging all client data to disk files -
unless you have a small setup (only a few hosts) it will cause
a lot of disk I/O and generally make your Xymon server very busy.
Much better to have your custom handler work directly from the
data that is fed to it via STDIN from hobbitd_channel.