red is good

Kenneth Falor kenneth.falor at fcer.com
Mon Nov 2 18:02:15 CET 2009

greetings, in my company we have firewalls with cellular failover/backup cards built in them.  I need to be alerted when we fail over to these cards.  I am currently pinging the T1 WAN interface and get alerts when it goes down, but I need to get an acknowledgement that the cell card did in fact fail over and the VPN was re-established. we also want to use this alerting to see if the cards are randomly dialing out.

If I ping the cell cards static IP it is down (red) when it is not dialed, so I need alert on green status. I also do not want my main status pages to be red all the time.  is there a way to say "red is good, but green is bad"?

Other monitoring tools allow for contingencies like 'if the WAN IP is down, then try pinging the WWAN IP, but do not ping WWAN IP until then." can hobbit do this?

Kenneth Falor | Network Administrator | First Choice Emergency Room