[hobbit] Determining yellow and red level warnings for cpu/load

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Fri May 22 21:59:28 CEST 2009

Josh Luthman wrote:
> I have a server that does does a lot of work all the time - a vmware
> server.  Each virtual machine does its own things, but the host OS has
> load that gets to 20 at times.  Everything is just as responsive during
> these times, so the default load warnings aren't valid for me.
>
> I changed my alerts based on a test with stress
> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/stress).
>
> Does everyone else just accept the defaults for yellow and red?  If not,
> how do you increase it?

I agree with the others, the default values are pretty low and may not
work for your situation.  The absolute best way to determine what works
for you is to simply run the xymon client for a while (days/weeks/etc.)
and see where your server(s) tend to operate normally and what happens
when things aren't going well.   After you gather that data, you will
have a good idea of what you can use for yellow and red thresholds.

Tom