[hobbit] Duration for one round of server side module

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Fri May 15 16:49:53 CEST 2009

Thanks for the info, I documented the differences of these two approaches.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Other_Docs/HOWTO#How_to_have_pca_work_with_xymon_.3F

T.J. Yang

Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:22:11 -0400
From: vadud3 at gmail.com
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Duration for one round of server side module

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM, T.J. Yang <tj_yang at hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Asif

There are a few questions need to be addressed for
non-home deployment.

1.  Do we  want to have  xymon
clients to query Sun's patch database file ?
    The answer should be No for a
site have big xymon client installations.
2. the pca xymon client module should query
internal solaris patch database server(on xymon server).
3. the pca xymon server
side EXT module should in sync with Sun's patch database
server and download the zip files for
internal installation.
4. pca rely on wget and wget rely on other software
also, be prepared to deal with pca xymon module for solaris 2.6 and above that doesn't come with wget.

I discussed w/ pca community and server side module works better
Here is the thread.

    http://www.mail-archive.com/pca@lists.univie.ac.at/msg00939.html

Most of the servers are between sol 8 and sol 10 but that is not a problem since I am doing it
on the server side and my hobbit server is sol 9

I updated the hobbitclient-sunos.sh file and pushed using clientupdate method to all the clients.

only the following lines needed to add to the hobbitclient-sunos.sh. That was enough data
to generate the pca report

echo "[showrev]"
showrev -p
echo "[pkginfo]"
pkginfo -x

right below [ps] section

Also whenever new version pca comes I just need to update the pca on hobbit server to get my patch report

I don't quite understand why you design pca work as
server side module

For me, I did it as a client side module and create
another column (pca) for each xymon client.

Here is an example of what it looks like so
far

http://xymon.dlinkddns.com/hobbit-cgi/bb-hostsvc.sh?HOST=netinstall.test.net&SERVICE=pca

P.S. I interacted with pca author but failed to
convince him we (xymon community) can have a "-M" option to send out xymon
needed html format.

You use the `-L ' switch to get html report.

tj