DNS lookup failed

bb at buglecreek.com bb at buglecreek.com
Fri May 1 00:37:23 CEST 2009

I have several external servers I test with lines like this in
bb-hosts:

0.0.0.0          mail.server.xxx.com   # noconn smtp imaps

These are load balanced so the ip changes.  I randomly get a red
indication on the status page stating:

DNS lookup failed

So, in the  hobbitlaunch.cfg I added --no-ares to the bbtest-net
section.  This seemed to fix the issue, but was curious if there was a
better way.  After looking at the warnings in the man page for
bbtest-net I'm a little concerned.  It states "You should only use this
as a last resort . . ."  Is there a better way to resolve this?  Xymon
is 4.2.3 on a RH5.3 server.