[hobbit] xymon ready to replace bb?

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Mar 27 08:07:29 CET 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> > The other (the slave one) first checks the status of the other server (a
> > simpel wget of the status page can be enough) and only sends out the
> > alert if
> > this page is not green.
> >
> > So, basically, both servers are triggering on the same alert, but the
> > slave
> > server only sends out the alert if the primary server is not green.
>
> Wouldn't there be more involved in this? What if the primary server's
> hobbit daemon was down, but the web service was still running? The
> secondary server would want to report the hobbit daemon being down, but
> wouldn't because the primary server's page was still green and hadn't been
> updated.
Not if you let the master hobbit send it status to the slave hobbit and check
the status on the slace hobbit.  If the master hobbit is down, the slave
hobbit will become purple.  It is possible that you miss some alerts.

If I need to do something like this, I would create a custom test that does
some more advanced checking (Can I send an alert?  Can I rech my smtp
server? ...).  The status is send to the other hobbit server and can be used
to trigger a failover in alerting.

Stef