[hobbit] Re: Hobbit server/client, Nagios server ?! (fwd)

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 18:34:21 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 5:50 AM, carl Inglis <carl at yoshiwara.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One point which I think has been missed - Nagios can accept "Passive
> Checks", so in theory XyMon could report to Nagios:
>
> On my nagios server the relevant documentation is found under:
> http://[server]/nagios/docs/passivechecks.html
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Regards,
>
> Carl

I think I actually had this working at one time.  I used the NSCA addon to
feed Xymon info to Nagios in the form of passive checks.  I'm fairly sure I
used, or at least looked at using, the hobbitd_sample program to catch
status messages passing through Xymon.  See the man page here:

   http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/man8/hobbitd_sample.8.html

The source for that is in the Xymon source tree, so it gets compiled and
installed along with everything else.  You could either alter the source to
make the send_nsca() call directly, or at least execute an external script
with appropriate arguments,

You'll also need to have the NSCA receiver running on the Nagios server, but
that might be there already.

I no longer have access to my old Hobbit server, but I might have a backup
copy somewhere...

Ralph Mitchell