[hobbit] Understanding hobbit

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Tue Mar 3 09:26:50 CET 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009, Benedikt Kristinsson wrote:
> Hello.
>
> There are a few things I dont quite understand yet about hobbit and I
> cant find anything that explains it in the docs so i better ask :)
>
> In the hobbit "display", the webpage, the hobbit server itself is listed
> with a few things i dont get on the other servers, like bbd, bbgen,
> bbtest and hobbitd. These seem to provide interesting things though. I
> have installed hobbit-client on the clients.
Like someone else explained, bb is/was used by BigBrother, Hobbit
was 'BigBrother improved' and Xymon is the new name for Hobbit.

The xymon/hobbit server software running on your monitor server is reporting
its status as bbd,bbgen, ...  What I do is changing MACHINEDOTS in
hobbitserver.cfg to <hostname>-hobbit and add a entry
"<ip> <hostname>-hobbit # noconn bbd"
in bb-hosts.  So all the hobbit server checks are reported on a separate line.

Stef