[hobbit] license question

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Sun Mar 1 11:35:37 CET 2009

<snip>
> PPS, I did do some work for a client a number of years ago (before
> hobbit, with BB) where we customised (read wrote a new) web interface.
> The bb client was stock standard and re-distributed, but the work on the
> server was never distributed, hence source code didn't need to be
> shared. This was basically to let each client login and see their own
> status, and nobody else's, and let the company
> configure/setup/delete/etc the clients monitoring/passwords/etc...
> Unfortunately, the company went bust, and I lost all copies of the work
> I had done...

I think this specific issue was one of the "loopholes" that GPL v3 hopes
to close. Of course since BB was not GPL it will not apply. But as i
understand it if you use GPL software to provide a service over the web
and you have changed the source then you have to distribute (make
available) the changes. As I see it there is no provision in GPL v2 for
this.

And of course I am not a lawyer :)

Cheers

Iain