[hobbit] Hobbit HTTP Monitor Anomalies

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 02:11:00 CEST 2009

I don't know about doing retries in bb-net, but it's really quite easy to
roll your own http/https tests.  A very simple case could look something
like this:
   #!/bin/bash

   curl -s -S -L -retry 3 --max-time 30 -o /dev/null
https://server.domain.com/whatever
   if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
     COLOR=green
     MESSAGE="page fetched OK"
   else
     COLOR=red
     MESSAGE="page fetch failed"
   fi

   $BB $BBDISP "status server,domain,com.https $COLOR `date`

  $MESSAGE"

The status message needs commas in the fully qualified server name, because
the column name is separated from the server name by a dot...  The content
in $MESSAGE can include html, such as a clickable url so your ops can try to
click through to verify the server status.

I've done a bunch of these in the last 8 years...  :)

Ralph Mitchell