[hobbit] Faulty downtime

Dominique Frise dominique.frise at unil.ch
Thu Jun 18 17:25:47 CEST 2009

Martha McConaghy wrote:
> We're running the 4.3.0.0-beta2 level of Xymon, but saw this problem with
> the previous beta level too.  The downtime option in bb-hosts does not seem
> to work for servers that are running a Xymon client.  No matter how you set
> it (i.e. what days or times), the tests never go blue.  It does show up as
> planned downtime when you display the "Info" about the server, but it never
> actually happens.  (Consequently, alerts are generated during the outage
> time.)
>
> The downtime option works fine for servers that are not running a client,
> though.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  I suspect this is a bug.  Any ideas how to
> work around it?
>
> Martha McConaghy
> Marist College IT

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

 From our experience there are two issues with DOWNTIME

1) The doc. in bb-hosts(5) should be:

DOWNTIME=[columns:]day:starttime:endtime:cause[,[columns:]day:starttime:endtime:cause]

2) The info column does not reflect a proper DOWNTIME configuration.

Example:
A valid and working configuration like
"DOWNTIME=ldap:1:0729:0734:Restart" will be shown as "Planned downtime:
ldap:1:0729:0734:Restart" on the info page (the 1 is not decoded as Monday).

See also http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2009/04/msg00301.html

You can check your DOWNTIME settings with hobbitd_alert(8) --test HOST
SERVICE [options]

Dominique