Solution for rrd error on "minimum one second step" for ifstat.mac.rrd

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 15:05:06 CEST 2009

This is a write up of my recent effort to debug and understand error message in rrd-[status|data].log files.

What is the problem ?

xymon(hobbit) client can send two pairs of data at the same time stamp.

"/usr/bin/kstat -p -s '[or]bytes64'| sort" will give out wrsmd and mac info on a solaris 10 box.

and causing bge:1:mac:obytes64 try to overwrite bge:0:mac:obytes64, thus the error of "minimum one second step"

1. with wrsmd filtered out only

hobbit at test$ /usr/bin/kstat -p -s '[or]bytes64'|egrep -v wrsmd | sort
bge:0:bge0:obytes64     50828816355
bge:0:bge0:rbytes64     81490514060
bge:0:mac:obytes64      50828816355
bge:0:mac:rbytes64      81490514060
bge:1:mac:obytes64      0
bge:1:mac:rbytes64      0
bge:2:mac:obytes64      0
bge:2:mac:rbytes64      0
bge:3:mac:obytes64      0
bge:3:mac:rbytes64      0

2. My Solution, filtering out both wrsmd and mac. let me know if you have better one.

hobbit at test$ /usr/bin/kstat -p -s '[or]bytes64'|egrep -v 'wrsmd|mac'  | sort
bge:0:bge0:obytes64     50829477390
bge:0:bge0:rbytes64     81501640315
hobbits at test$

PS: ifstat is using kstat. but kstat is only avaiable for Solaris 8 and above. so if you have solaris 2.6,2.7 machines, ifstat section need to be disabled in hobbitclient-sunos.sh.

T.J. Yang