[hobbit] Hobbit startup script.

david.peters at dpi.nsw.gov.au david.peters at dpi.nsw.gov.au
Tue Jun 16 04:54:20 CEST 2009

It still runs as hobbit, it is just that any script in init.d gets run as
root by init.  So consequently anything that needs to be run by a user
such as hobbit, has its startup script coded to do an su hobbit -c
"blahblahblah". In other words, hobbit still runs as hobbit but the
startup script can be run as root.

Anyway I think this discussion is dead. :-)

David Peters

+61 2 63913565
+61 4 17863572

Craig Cook <Craig.Cook at carquest.com> wrote on 09/06/2009 11:04:18 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> RE: [hobbit] Hobbit startup script.
>
> Craig Cook
>
> to:
>
> 'hobbit at hswn.dk'
>
> 10/06/2009 12:33 AM
>
> Please respond to hobbit
>
> >Sorry I wasn't asking how to do it, just why the script has to run as
> >hobbit when you install out of the box.
>
> It?s a security thing.  It is not good practice to run applications
> as root.  If someone exploits a ?let to be discovered? bug in Xymon
> they will not be able to crash it and become root.
>
> Craig

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their organisation.