FW: multi-graphs again

Nelis, W.J.M. nelis at nlr.nl
Thu Jun 11 16:31:45 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm certainly not the first person to hit the problem of one test with a variable number of graphs. There are a number of threads about this topic. In my case, monitoring of licenses is needed. There are two license servers, one Linux and one Windows, each with an own set of licensed products. Each product has one or more features. Besides monitoring (are all licenses of a product/feature in use?) also the use of licenses over time is needed. In this case we'll need one graph per feature, each graph will show two lines, the total number of licenses and the number of used licenses.

The current setup is to send a status message to Xymon, with a list of NCV values. SPLITNCV is used to get each value into a separate .rrd file. After some tests, I have the following questions.

A) If a multiplicity is specified in hobbitserver.cfg, GRAPHS="...,license::1,...", the number of lines (and in this case thus also the number of graphs) is determined from the number of files which in this example have a name effectively matching RE "^license,.+\.rrd$". On the other hand, hobbitgraph.cgi seems to count the files which match the RE specified in hobbitgraph.cfg, FNPATTERN. These two counts need not be the same. Is it possible to have the associated FNPATTERN to be used to determine the number of lines to draw?

B) The name in an NCV is often a meaningful description of what is being measured. The name becomes part of the filename when using SPLITNCV. The meaningful part of the file name can be extracted by using parentheses in FNPATTERN, for instance "^license,(.+)\.rrd$". That part of the name is available as @RRDPARAM at . However it cannot be substituted in the title of the graph. If in hobbitgraph.cfg one specifies "TITLE license_feature @RRDPARAM@", that is exactly what you get. Using the possibility to have the title generated by a script does not help: it seems to be invoked once for the set of graphs, in stead of once for each graph. Is it a reasonably small change to make a new title for each graph, either by substitution or via a script?

C) In hobbitserver.cfg, GRAPHS the multiplicity is specified. The graphs in the trends column are as expected, showing one line per graph. However, the graphs in the test column, license in this case, show four lines per graph. How can one set the multiplicity for the test column?

Regards,
  Wim Nelis.