[hobbit] Alternate view for Management

Harold J. Ballinger hballinger at heritage-healthcare.com
Thu Jul 23 22:33:17 CEST 2009

It looks like the NAME and COMMENT tags only apply for the host entry that is preferred with the "prefer" tag. This means that it will change the name for both pages and that I can't have the host display a friendly name on one page but an actual hostname on the other.

The only way that I could find to make this work was to use "include" instead of "dispinclude", then create a second "fake host" entry with a different hostname and duplicate all of the tests using the "testip" tag, then use the NAME tag on this second "fake host". This means that all tests are duplicated and that the tests reported on this page are against the IP (and would not reflect host resolution issues.)

I know that there are a lot of you out there that are smarter than me and that know Xymon inside and out. Am I trying to get Xymon to do something that it just isn't capable of performing? I hate to have to build and manage a separate Xymon server that is just for the management view and reporting so that I can have this "Friendly View" type of report, but would that be my best option at this point?

Thanks!

-

Harold Ballinger
IT Coordinator