[hobbit] Monitoring SMB shares

Harold J. Ballinger hballinger at heritage-healthcare.com
Fri Jul 17 14:50:42 CEST 2009

I'm interested in testing from a location other than the client hosting the smb share since I want to be sure that the share is accessible as it would need to be in the real world (whether that be authentication, permissions, name resolution, connectivity, firewall/routing permissions, or back end services that host the service). Especially when dealing with DFS and clustering, I want to know that the user experience (10,000 foot view) is working vs a particular host's own checks against 127.0.0.1.

Your solution makes sense and it is a valid and well thought out test, but in my case, it only accounts for 70% of the possible failure points. (It would be like having the client ping 127.0.0.1 for the conn test in a routed environment - I know that the client is up and the ping service is responding, but I am missing a large piece of the puzzle.)

I'm looking for the solution because we had such a test when we were using Big Brother, but it no longer works since we migrated to hobbit/xymon. We have been able to migrate most other tests/capabilities directly from BB easily and I was hoping that it was just something simple that I had overlooked.

It has to be said that we have been much happier with Hobbit/Xymon than BB in all areas. I just don't like to let something "beat me" when it comes to technology. :-)