Handling Downtime across timezones?

Brand, Thomas R. TRBrand at cvs.com
Wed Jul 8 21:33:41 CEST 2009

I have client systems spread over several time zones from AST (Atlantic
Standard Time) to HST (Hawaii Standard Time) and everything in between.

My hobbit server is in EST time zone.

The client systems run an 'End of Day' [EOD] process every night.

This process starts sometime between 12:30 am and 3:30am client LOCAL
time and runs about 15 minutes.

During the EOD run, several background processes are intentionally
stopped.

I don't want to have alerts generated if these processes are
down/stopped during EOD  but do want to be alerted if the processes are
down outside of the EOD window.

E.g.:

 * client systems in Puerto Rico run EOD at 12:30am AST, which is 11:30
pm EST (previous day)

 * client systems in Hawaii run EOD at 3:30 am HST, which is 9:30 am EST

I have not figured out a way to do this - at least not with the DOWNTIME
flag.

It appears that the DOWNTIME flag on the hobbit server uses the hobbit
servers' current time to determine if an event is occurring during the
DOWNTIME interval; that's a problem for me since from the hobbit servers
perspective,  the EOD can happen over a 10 hour period.

Any suggestions on how to configure things so that I don't get alerts
for processes being 'down' from 12:30 - 3:30 am client local time?

N.B - I'm going to be dealing with over 7000 clients

Thanks,

Tom Brand