scalability of hobbit/xymon ?

Nicolas nico at crysto.org
Wed Jul 8 15:29:37 CEST 2009

Hi,

In my company, we are currently monitoring ~7000 devices (unix, microsoft,
network, firewall, storage) in 13 datacenters in different countries (Spain,
Italy, Germany, Belgium, France, Amsterdam, Belgium, UK).

The architecture is simple:  one hobbit cluster using Heartbeat in each
datacenter (= 13 clusters)  reporting to a central cluster by bbproxy and
some custom scripts to concatenate/consolidate the bb-hosts files correctly.

My question is for the future, we need to support 20 000 devices and i would
like to know if hobbit is able to do that. (scalability).
Indeed, my company doesn¹t trust that it¹s possible, and they want to move
to HP BSM or EMC Smarts .... :-(

Any experience about that is welcome.

Regards,
Nico