[hobbit] Xymon hosts database.

Wed Jul 1 17:44:45 CEST 2009

We store information on our systems in LDAP for a variety of reasons.

   * Many existing applications (Postfix, Puppet) can use LDAP data
   * LDAP tools are pre-installed on most systems
   * It's available in most scripting environments (Shell, Python,
PHP, Perl)
   * The data can be viewed and edited in many ways (including plain-
text)
   * The data's structure is more flexible than a spreadsheet or RDBMS
   * We're going to have an LDAP server anyway (for authentication)
   * It's easy for people to read and gather information
   * It's easy for machines and automated processes to read and gather
information

And yes, much of our bb-hosts file is generated from data in LDAP. :)

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>