SMTP - connection refused

Martha McConaghy URMM at VM.MARIST.EDU
Mon Jan 26 22:08:20 CET 2009

I'm monitoring some very busy SMTP servers that handle all our incoming
email.  Because they are so busy, at times, Xymon will get a connection
refused condition when testing SMTP, which generates a red alert.  Its fine
at the next test cycle, but the false alerts concern me.  (People get used to
seeing false alerts, they ignore the real ones.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is there I way I can alter the SMTP test
to not generate this condition as an alert, or perhaps an alert script that
won't send out an email?

Martha McConaghy
Marist College