[hobbit] Two DNS lookups for a server but one fails

Ward, Martin Martin.Ward at colt.net
Mon Jan 12 15:58:38 CET 2009

Thanks for that Henrik.

I took a copy of my existing 4.2.2 code, overwrote the bbnet directory with the SVN source and recreated the c-ares subdirectory in the bbnet subdir by untar-ing c-areas.1.6.0.tar.gz and renaming the c-ares.1.6.0/ subdirectory to c-ares/

Having done this the compilation failed as it couldn't find a library for the clock_gettime() function. I found that adding "-lrt" to the "LDAPLIBS" variable in the Makefile in the top level source directory solved the problem, but this may not be the right place to put it. A little more fiddling was required because my SSL libraries are not located in the standard library locations and I hate having to set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH everywhere, so my LDAPLIBS and SSLLIBS ended up looking like:

SSLLIBS = -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/local/ssl/lib  -lssl -lcrypto
LDAPLIBS = -L/usr/lib -lldap  -lrt

After compiling it successfully I copied bbtest-net into the server/bin directory and restarted xymon. Apart from a timeout issue with a local script, which I believe is a config issue on my part, things look like they are working fine now. The double DNS lookups are working OK and I am getting remote port connection tests working so that's good or me.

Thanks Henrik!

|\/|artin

The message is intended for the named addressee only and may not be disclosed to or used by anyone else, nor may it be copied in any way.

The contents of this message and its attachments are confidential and may also be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the named addressee and/or have received this message in error, please advise us by e-mailing security at colt.net and delete the message and any attachments without retaining any copies.

Internet communications are not secure and COLT does not accept responsibility for this message, its contents nor responsibility for any viruses.

No contracts can be created or varied on behalf of COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or affiliates ("COLT") and any other party by email Communications unless expressly agreed in writing with such other party.

Please note that incoming emails will be automatically scanned to eliminate potential viruses and unsolicited promotional emails. For more information refer to www.colt.net or contact us on +44(0)20 7390 3900.