[hobbit] Purple Problems

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jan 5 13:49:09 CET 2009

In <0KCR0014H5S7P5 at emmsvr01.prod.fedex.com> Tim Grzechowski <tim.grzechowski.osv at fedex.com> writes:

>Something on the network blew up, router or switch.  Of course hobbit went
>purple.  It was a Thursday afternoon and it was in the Network Gods hands at
>this point.  They fixed it that night I had still had the purple condition
>in the morning.  I checked both the server and clients (~100) and everything
>was running.  I restarted both anyway and waited.  Went home for the
>weekend.  Came in Monday and still had the purple plague.

I assume your Hobbit webpages are being updated ? (Check the timestamp
in the upper-right corner).

Is hobbitd_client running on the server ?

On one of the clients, login as the user running the HObbit client
and run the "bbcmd" tool. You'll get a new shell prompt. Do an
   echo $BB
   echo $BBDISP
and check that these point to the "bb" utility on the client, and the
IP-address of your Hobbit server.

Then run
   $BB $BBDISP "ping"
You should get a response back from the Hobbit server.o

Next, run
   $BB $BBDISP "status $MACHINE.purpletest green Checking status"

This sends a "purpletest" status-message to the Hobbit server. If
everything works OK, then you should get a "purpletest" status
column (in color green) for this client host) the next time the
Hobbit webpages are updated.

Let us know what you find out.