[hobbit] HTTP response time test

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Feb 27 20:20:27 CET 2009

----- "Jason Hand" <jason at hands4christ.org> wrote:

> I cannot find anything mentioning if Hobbit/Xymon can test how long an
>
> HTTP or HTTPS page takes to respond and alert on that.  In other
> words, if a site is in a hung state so that it still technically
> "responds" but it takes 5 seconds for the page to respond how does
> Hobbit/Xymon handle that?  I want to make sure that if a site that we
>
> are monitoring takes longer than a couple of seconds to load we are
> alerted,
>
> Do any of you do a test like that and how are you doing it?

As far as I remember, the default http test (assuming you have provided the full url to the site you want to test) will go red if the server doesn't respond with an appropriate status code within the timeout (which defaults to 10s).

If you need custom timeouts for different hosts, then you may need something more complex than that (although you should consult the documentation, see the coverage of the --timeout option in the bbtest-net man page).

Regards,
Buchan