[hobbit] tftp monitor

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Feb 27 20:14:53 CET 2009

----- "Dominique Frise" <dominique.frise at unil.ch> wrote:

> Cooper, Ken wrote:
> > Did anyone answer this? I just got the same request and had no luck
> > finding an answer.
> > Thanks
> > Ken Cooper

[...]

> Hobbit cannot check UDP services.

The more correct answer is that Xymon's generic network testing features supports TCP. UDP cannot be tested generically, being connectionless.

However, Hobbit does monitor NTP (but this is done by using an NTP client).

I monitor RADIUS using an extension script (I think the one from The Shire, but I had to remove the Solaris-isms).

A similar approach can be taken for TFTP, e.g. using a tftp client to fetch a known file, and testing the return code.

We have TFTP in our environment, but I would be worried if someone really required it to be monitored (as the functionality often implemented requiring a reliable TFTP service can often be done with better tools ...).

However, if you don't come right, I may decide to implement a check myself and share it.

Regards,
Buchan