Hobbit Server Crash

Guðmundur Örn Ingvarsson Gudmundur.O.Ingvarsson at landsbankinn.is
Fri Dec 4 14:16:46 CET 2009

Just now, 1 week before scheduled update of our Hobbit server to Xymon our hobbit server died.

The only thing I know that was new at the time of the crash was an vbs script sending MSMQ counters along with it's status message, it was an old script but we just added a new counter.

Anyway, it seems hobbitd doesn work now, it's version 4.2.0 and you probably want me to upgrade immediatly but I still find this strange... It's worked for years and suddenly now it dies?

Anyway, I've found the following rummaging through the logs and core

In Hobbitlaunch.log
Task hobbitd terminated by signal 6

In Hobbitd.log
2009-12-04 13:01:08 Setup complete

GDB of the core
warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3
Reading symbols from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Core was generated by `hobbitd --pidfile=/usr/local/hobbit/log/hobbitd.pid --restart=/usr/local/hobbit'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
[New process 22639]
#0  0xb7f98410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

No new packages have been installed, no updates been done. The only thing was the vbs script and we've disabled that now.

Any ideas ?

Guðmundur Örn Ingvarsson
Landsbankinn
Unix Infrastructure Administrator
Core Systems IT - CS IT

Sími / Tel.: (+354)  410 6730
Farsími / Mobile: (+354)  820 5074
Fax: (+354)  410 3032
gudmundur.ingvarsson at landsbanki.is<mailto:gudmundur.ingvarsson at landsbanki.is>
www.landsbanki.is<http://www.landsbanki.is/>

Landsbankinn (NBI hf.), kt. 471008-0280, Austurstræti 11, 155 Reykjavík, er skráð hlutafélag og starfar samkvæmt heimild og undir eftirliti Fjármálaeftirlitsins.
Landsbankinn (NBI hf.), Austurstræti 11, 155 Reykjavík. is incorporated in Iceland with limited liability (Reg. No: 471008-0280) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Supervisory Authority in Iceland (Fjármálaeftirlitið).

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer: http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer