Another newbie needs help w/ custom graphs

Bouchard, Brian Brian-Bouchard at idexx.com
Thu Sep 25 20:08:41 CEST 2008

I've been working with Hobbit for all of a couple of weeks now, although
I have some limited exposure to Big Brother in a previous life...

In order to learn the tool better, I wrote a simple custom monitor that
watches Heap usage in an application server.  This seems to be
collecting data fine, but now I want to figure out how to graph this
information in an rrd graph.

Here's where I stand.

- I have a column called "weblogic" in Hobbit.

- When you click on that column for a given host, you see a field called
"used_heap"

- I edited hobbitserver.cfg and added a piece at the end of the TEST2RRD
line:   weblogic=ncv

- I also added a line to the same file:    NCV_weblogic="usedheap:Gauge"

- I I'm generating a file called weblogic.rrd in ../data/rrd/<HOSTNAME>

But, when I go to the weblogic column, at the bottom of the page there
is a space where the graph should be that says "hobbit graph
ncv:weblogic"  No graph.

I THINK everything is ok up to this point, but then comes the
hobbitgraph.cfg file, and I have to be honest, I really don't understand
this file at all and haven't come across a good explanation yet, so I'm
open to someone telling me to go read some website before I post, if
it's glaringly obvious. I used some other files and the examples I found
online to come up with this...

[weblogic]

        TITLE Heap Usage

        YAXIS Bytes

        DEF:heap=weblogic.rdd:usedheap:AVERAGE

        LINE2:heap#00CCCC:Heap Used

        COMMENT:\n

        GPRINT:heap:LAST:Heap Used \: %5.1lf%s (cur)

        GPRINT:heap:MAX: \: %5.11f%s (max)

        GPRINT:heap:MIN: \: %5.11f%s (min)

        GPRINT:heap:AVERAGE: \: %5.11f%s (avg)\n

I could use some help getting this graph going, and even explaining the
entries in the hobbitgraph.cfg file if anyone has the patience to help
walk me through this.

- Brian