[hobbit] UPS units

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Sep 19 14:34:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 09:02 -0400, Josh Luthman wrote:
> I don't have Devmon installed and I would, if at all possible, prefer
> to avoid SNMP.

We use Liebert/Emmerson UPS here, (GXT2, NPower, and NFinity) and I
monitor about 130 UPS.  I use MRTG, configured with a template, to poll
the boxes.  bbmrtg.pl imports the data into hobbit.  I am alarmed on:
1.  Load on battery
2.  UPS switched to Bypass
3.  Battery less than 60 minutes (yellow) or 30 minutes (red)
4.  Current draw within 10% of rated max
5.  Input voltage more than 15% below nominal (brown-out) or 15% above
nominal.
6.  frequency off by more than 1Hz
7.  UPS inaccessible (ping)

I can't fathom a way to monitor that without snmp.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy