[hobbit] UPS units

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Thu Sep 18 15:00:24 CEST 2008

Josh Luthman wrote:
> Thanks in advance for your input.  Much appreciated.  I look forward to
> reading your scripts!
>
> I will not be wanting to shut my servers down, but instead switch them over
> to generators rather then the AC power.  The generators we have at each site
> are not good/smart enough to take in AC power and kick on when it drops,
> unfortunately.

Hi Josh... Just to clarify, the NUT program has the OPTION to shut servers
down... It is not mandatory.

You can have it do anything you like (eg: run an arbitrary script, send email
notifications) at certain events:  battery percentage or certain runtime left,
system on battery, AC back on etc.

Hope that clears things up.

NUT is a great package, and the scripts and graphs I have added to hobbit just
monitor the UPSes managed by the NUT server. Then I use hobbit for the
notifications when any of the data points reaches a defined threshold.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC