[hobbit] UPS units

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Wed Sep 17 18:13:52 CEST 2008

Josh Luthman wrote:
> I haven't looked into the mailing list very closely in the past.  From what
> I know, we're still using "Hobbit", right?
>
> I'm looking at getting a full suit of new UPS units and I would like to see
> what everyone is using out there.  I would really like to find something
> that works well with Hobbit so I can monitor them as easy as possible.  I
> will need to have Hobbit go red when power is down (batteries discharging)
> is really my main concern here.  More details would be prettier, though =)
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hi Josh...

I have been using NUT (Network Ups Tools - http://eu1.networkupstools.org/ )
to monitor some APC UPSes. NUT is an excellent client/server UPS monitoring
tool that allows you to automate the shutdown of multiple servers using AC
power from one UPS when the battery is getting low. It can monitor many types
of UPSes, and its client-server construction makes it well-suited to be
monitored by other tools like hobbit, for instance.

I have created several hobbit client scripts to pull information from the NUT
server. These scripts are monitoring and graphing the following stats from
(currently) two UPSes at one of my client's sites:

bat-charge %
ups-load %
in-voltage
out-voltage
bat-voltage

I have been planning (for quite some time now) to get these things cleaned up
and get them on the shire so everyone can make use of them. I have been far
too busy though... I have a few projects coming to a close and may have time
in the coming weeks to get these up there.

Let me take a quick look at my scripts in their current state. Perhaps if they
look reasonable enough, and some people are interested, I may just post them
here with minimal instructions before I get a completed package ready for the
shire.

The only pre-requisite to deploying my scripts is that NUT is currently
installed, running properly and monitoring at least one of your UPSes.

Let me know if this is of interest.   I am looking to give back to the hobbit
community and this might be a perfect chance. :)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC