[hobbit] wildcards or regex with SPLITNCV

Graham Nayler graham.nayler at hallmarq.net
Thu Oct 30 23:27:13 CET 2008

Shawn,

Sorry, I obviously overinterpreted your earlier posts about patching and
getting your snapshot working.

I can't really comment about your application, other than to say I think
you'll have a major problem getting different numbers of traces on different
graphs within a single test. Running multiple tests, with some having
individual traces/graph and some having multiple, is probably the only way
you'll be able to manage that.

But back to your SPLITNCV problem, I finally had a bit of a closer look at
it, as it's so closely related to what I've been doing myself. Yes it will
allow adding datasources within a test without restarting hobbit (or more
accurately, and seriously, having to delete and reinitialise the RRD files,
so losing previous history). Don't know about it's support in 4.2, but it is
supported in 4.3 - but it is broken.

Here's my reply to someone else today on the subject, which describes the
usage and the fix
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/10/msg00423.html

Regarding the python script, essentially it skips the first two header
lines, then parses any lines it sees of the format
<any old junk> {space} <datasource_name> {space} :: <signed floating point
value> <more junk>

and writes for each line found the following three lines to stdout
DS:<datasource_name>:GAUGE:600:U:U
<testname>.<datasource_name>.rrd
<value>

As it receives each <value> the script host (hobbitd_rrd) updates (or
generates if required) the named RRD file.

Subsequently, I've now changed it to output a DS line equivalent to what the
SPLITNCV mechanism does
DS:lambda:GAUGE:600:U:U
partly as I had some very long datasource names, and RRD throws an error
(and fails to create the file) if it sees datasources longer than 19
characters.

FYI, as I see it, the overheads of using external script mechanism
additional to the SPLITNCV methods are:
one process fork per test report
write the body of the test report to a temporary diskfile
run the script
delete the temporary diskfile

Graham Nayler