[hobbit] monitoring patch status?

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 17:14:31 CET 2008

From: "Tracy Di Marco White" <gendalia at iastate.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:17 AM
To: <hobbit at hswn.dk>
Subject: Re: [hobbit] monitoring patch status?

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Martin Flemming
> <martin.flemming at desy.de> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, somedays ago i've "found" pca  too,
>> and a xymon-module for it will be great !
>>
>> .. maybe for redhat-clones there will be yum to use,
>> has got somebody work for it ? :-)
>
> I had one of our students write a package auditing script for RHEL
> 5.1, something to match the NetBSD pkgsrc security auditing script we
> use on all our NetBSD machines.

>The RHEL version requires 'yum
> install yum-security' and consists of:
> yum-audit - checks security status of yum installed packages on RHEL 5.1
>            and greater

I have RH machines ranging from RH9 to RHEL4.

My interest is to learn how to implement counter part of Solaris pca that
compare with a
central patch/package database file(s) on web server. Audit is the main
interest here.
This way xymon-pca module can report missed patchs/pkgs on one single
column.

> yum-get-audit-script - to be set up as a root cron job to pull the
> security
>            statuses from yum
> yum-cve.ignore - an example CVE ignore file to tell the script with CVE's
>            to mark as green
>               - its location is specified in the yum-audit script
>
> If others are interested, I'll see about making them available.

I am interested about the *.src.rpm to see/learn how you did it.

tj